Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE...

After school today, I thought I better check on the welfare of the calves we cut last night... I walked down to the tank with the dogs to see if they were down there...no sign. I then cut up and across the "henhouse" pasture and found Tuff tracking down the first Texas Horned Toad of the season! Zack scooted over and saved it from an uncertain, early death. Medium size, tan, spiky, and very docile. The poor thing probably thought this was the end of the road. He had made it through the winter to simply emerge from underground into the jaws of death!




DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU RUB THEIR BELLY, THEY BECOME MESMERIZED AND JUST LAY THERE??


DID YOU KNOW THEY SQUIRT BLOOD FROM THEIR EYES IN SELF DEFENSE?


After the photo shoot, I released him back where we found him. (for those PETA members that may be reading...)

I crossed the fence to the west toward the other tank. As I neared the tank where the creek merges with it, AGAIN, I saw Tuff with something in the grass. He grabbed it in his mouth and it squeaked. I quickly grabbed his collar and found a baby cottontail rabbit between his teeth. He released it, but was still interested in chomping on it, so I had to keep walking with it in my hand so that I could "fake him out"...as soon as he ran up ahead, I ran back and put the bunny in the clump of grass that was near where I found him.
The dogs were steadily hunting and sniffing and running and pouncing on stuff in the grass.

I found the cows up in the far corner of the pasture and all seemed well!

PASTURE TO THE WEST

No comments: